* 1 lb. Sweet Italian pork or chicken sausage (I always look for natural meat with no additives like nitrates and preservatives)
* 1 large onion, diced
* 6 slices hickory smoked turkey bacon, diced
* 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
* 4 cups chicken broth
* 2 cups water
* 2 cup potatoes, cut into half moon slices
* 2 c. kale, thinly sliced
* 1 cup cashew cream (see previous Fit Foodie post)
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown sausage over medium heat in a skillet and cut into bite sized pieces (if not using loose/ ground sausage).
2. Place diced sausage in the slow cooker
3. Saute bacon and onion in the same skillet over medium heat until softened and aromatic.
4. Put onions, bacon and minced raw garlic in the slow cooker along with broth, water and potatoes.
5. Cook on low setting for 4.5 hours
6. Add the kale after 4 hours and continue to cook.
7. Add the cashew cream just before serving, and stir.
*note: you can also add the kale at the beginning of cooking if you need to, and if you like a more cooked kale. For crunchier kale, add as directed or just before serving.